Monday 27 May 2013

Where to start?

I am in the fortunate situation of working at a school that supports teacher development. I was recently discussing my long list of professional development opportunities this year with a fellow teacher from another school, who told me that he is allowed one school day per year for PD. At our school, we must do a minimum of one day during school hours and one day during our own time. I've picked out some really helpful ones so far! 

PD aside though, we have a number of initiatives inside the school that focus on teacher improvement in some way or another. Probably the most significant of these is what I call the Curtin program. Really, its a student feedback survey about classroom climate coordinated by a team from Curtin University. A lot of work happens behind the scenes to make it possible but, as the teacher, I get to see feedback on how my students see my classroom, and how they would like it to be. It's split into a number of categories that make it easy to see where to focus efforts for improvement, and a post-intervention test is conducted to see whether the efforts have worked. As well as actually doing the survey, teachers are asked to:

- set goals for improvement (aided by a planning tool in the form of a table)
- discuss goals with colleagues in small curriculum teams
- reflect on the process

Although I have already been through this process once, and this cycle is nearing its end (next week is post-intervention test!), I will post some of my reflections up here to share my experiences. Expect to see some posts about the effectiveness of student surveys, and about experimenting on students!

2 comments:

  1. It's great to read about your experience with Curtin, Mel. I too am finding it to be a useful tool from teacher improvement! It really encourages self-reflection and proactive strategies for improving the classroom environment and practice. Looking forward to reading more of your reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel! Looking forward to getting into it and hopefully having some good discussions.

    ReplyDelete